Food Lion Weekly Ad – Food Lion was founded in 1957 in Salisbury, North Carolina, as Food City by Wilson Smith, Ralph Brown KETNER and KETNER. Town food chain is acquired by Belgium-based company Delhaize Group stores in 1974. In June 2015, it was announced that Food Lion parent company, Delhaize Group, and Ahold will melt in AHOLD Delhaize. This merger was completed in July 2016.
Name Food Lion was adopted in 1983; as Food Town expanding in Virginia, encountered several chain Foodtown stores in the area called Richmond. Expansion in Maryland would be a greater problem since about 100 independent, but affiliated, called Town Food Stores. For Delhaize had a lion in its logo, Food Town had wanted to use it on product labels and signs the new store. KETNER Ralph realized “lion” only needed two new characters and the movement of another in a string of signs. On December 12, 1982, KETNER announced a name change to “Food Lion” and by the end of March 1983, all stores were rebranded. Change the name, while US consumers puzzling, economic and historical sense, like Delhaize was once known as “Delhaize Le Lion”.
During 1980, Food Lion expanded throughout the Mid-Atlantic and Southeastern United States. The company has continued their expansion throughout the late 1980s, opening hundreds of stores in existing markets such as the Carolinas and Virginia, and to enter new markets such as Georgia and Maryland. In the early 1990s, appeared Food Lion stores in new markets such as Delaware and southern Pennsylvania; Orlando, Florida; Oklahoma City and Tulsa, Oklahoma; Shreveport; Metroplex Dallas / Fort Worth; and Houston. During this time, the fastest growing chain of supermarket company in the US, since they opened over 100 new stores every year. In November 1992, a critical report that showed PrimeTime Live unsanitary handling of meat and seafood chain hurt as they tried to enter new markets in the northeast and southwest.
readmore: Food Lion Weekly Ad February 15 – 21, 2017.