Price Chopper Weekly Ad
Golub Corporation (doing business as Price Chopper Supermarkets) is a chain of supermarkets headquartered in Schenectady, New York. The Price Chopper Weekly Ad opened its first supermarkets in New York’s Capital District in 1932, and changed its name from the Central Market Price Chopper in 1973. It is owned by the Corporation and directed by Neil Golub and Jerry Golub, generation third and fourth wheel of the company. On 2 June 2010 Price Chopper dedicated its new headquarters on Nott Street in downtown Schenectady.
In 1927, William Golub and his brother, Bernard, took food wholesalers that their father, Lewis Golub, was opened in 1908 after emigrating from Russia. In 1932, Joseph E. Grosberg, along with Russian Jewish immigrants Bernard and William Golub, a partner in Grosberg-Golub Corporation, opened their first supermarket (originally called Market Public Service) in Green Island, New York, the followed by stores in Watervliet and Schenectady. They gave the name of all three Central Market stores. The concept was a success and they continued to open many more stores in the region. In 1943, brothers Joseph Grosberg Golub bought the company and formed the present parent company, the Golub Corporation. In 1951, they were one of the first grocery chains in the country to bring renowned S & H Green Trading Stamps.
In the fall of 1973, Central Market changed its operating strategy. Chain dropped Stamps green, cut prices, and to reflect this new strategy changed the name of the stores to Price Chopper (Name “central market” is now used as their brand luxury home, as well as floral departments). Price Chopper since then has continued to grow, opening new stores and upgrading old ones.